Paso Doble Beginner Series Group Class
Understanding the different group classes
- This class is designed to appeal to the beginner and intermediate alike.
- Our beginner classes trend towards more foundation information
- Our intermediate classes trend towards challenging the student
- Our styling classes focus more on an artistic aspect of the dance
- Our Series classes build towards the same goal from week to week.
- Students should approach a group class setting at Social Graces with the idea that they will gain something rather than everything. Every student will take something different as everyone as different tastes and goals.
Drop in fee is $15 and active students can attend this group class for free.
We do not have a dress code, but we encourage you to dress for comfort.
Singles and couples welcome
You do not need a partner to attend any class at Social Graces.
In the 1930’s a dance known as the Paso Doble became a huge hit among the upper classes of Paris. It was a dramatic dance based around the story of the bullfight. Paso Doble is based on music played at bullfights during the bullfighters’ entrance (paseo) or during the passes (faena) just before the kill.
Paso Doble is French for “Two Step” which refers to the nature of the powerfully styled walking steps, as they are traditionally organized in patterns of two (left, right). The Paso Doble is one of the most dramatic of all the Latin dances. It is a progressive dance in which dancers take strong steps forward with the heels, and incorporate artistic hand movements. The forward steps, or walks, should be strong and proud.
The man should also incorporate the “apel”, a move in which he strongly stamps his foot, much like a matador strikes the ground in order to capture the attention of the bull. All moves of the Paso Doble should be sharp and quick, with the chest and head held high to represent arrogance and dignity.
The woman in the dance typically represents the cape, moving with graceful curves that emulate the flow of a cape around the man as he swings it dramatically.