Argentine Tango Styling Group Class
Understanding the different group classes
- This class is designed to appeal to the beginner and intermediate alike.
- Our beginner classes trend towards more foundation information
- Our intermediate classes trend towards challenging the student
- Our styling classes focus more on an artistic aspect of the dance
- Our Series classes build towards the same goal from week to week.
- Students should approach a group class setting at Social Graces with the idea that they will gain something rather than everything. Every student will take something different as everyone as different tastes and goals.
Drop in fee is $15 and active students can attend this group class for free.
We do not have a dress code, but we encourage you to dress for comfort.
Singles and couples welcome
You do not need a partner to attend any class at Social Graces.
History of Argentine Tango
The Argentine Tango has a rich history from the lives and music of Buenos Aires. As immigrants from Europe and Africa came to Buenos Aires in the 1880’s, they began dancing in the dark lit cafes to tell the story of the male-female relationship. The dance spread to Paris, along with its music which included an accordion like instrument, and became popular across Europe. With the popularity in Europe, the Argentinean upper- class decided to incorporate it into their circles. In 1926, Hollywood capitalized on the popularity of the Tango and used it in the movie “The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse” with actor Rudolph Valentino creating the craze for the dance which is still alive today.
Characteristics of Argentine Tango
Argentine Tango is danced using an embrace. The embrace position has the dancers’ chests closer together than their hips and often has both the leader and the follower in complete contact dancing cheek to cheek. However, the embrace is not rigid, but relaxed, so that all figures can be danced comfortably. The Argentine Tango is a dance full of emotion and is often dictated by the highlights in the music.
The Argentine Tango dance classes in North York offered present a sensual and sophisticated dance. It builds a deep feeling between partners creating a dance full of expression.